1. Have a housing need. For example: excessive rental/utility expenses, no indoor plumbing, poor heating, leaks in the roof, overcrowding, unsafe or unsanitary conditions. The Homeowner Selection Committee may schedule a home visit with you to verify need.
2. Have lived or worked in Nez Perce or Asotin County for at least the last year.
3. Have pre-tax (gross) income* in the Habitat annual income range for Nez Perce/Asotin County for a family of your size. For example: for a family of two that would be between $19,200 and $51,200 per year. See the Habitat annual income range table below.
FY 2023 Income Limits Summary
|FY 2023 Income Limit Area
||Median Family Income
||FY 2023 Income Limit Category
||1 Person Family
||2 Person Family
||3 Person Family
||4 Person Family
||5 Person Family
||6 Person Family
||7 Person Family
||8 Person Family
|Lewiston, ID-WA MSA
||Very Low (50%) Income Limits ($)
||Extremely Low Income Limits ($)
||Low (80%) Income Limits ($)
4. Provide permission for Habitat to verify employment and other income, verify checking and savings account balances, get a statement from your current and previous landlords, have a credit check done, conduct background checks, and ask you for credit references. A Permission Form is included in the application will require your electronic signature.
5. Be willing to participate in programs to become a successful homeowner, which will include budgeting, home repair, and maintenance.
6. Be willing to invest “sweat equity” by working on the Habitat house or other approved projects. A single adult household is required to put in 250 hours; a family headed by two adults is required to invest 500 hours.
7. Be willing and able to make monthly payments towards a share of the closing costs on your house for a total of approximately $1,000.
8. Be able to purchase the home from Habitat once it is completed. Habitat house payments include taxes and insurance and are approximately $700-$750 per month. The actual amount will vary depending on local taxes, insurance rates, the final construction cost of the home, and what is affordable in the homeowner’s monthly budget. L-C Valley Habitat cannot guarantee what the final price will be until the construction is complete.